Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Savannah Day One

Today we arrived in Georgia and immediately got lost. Turned left when we should have turned right. Thankfully Google maps helped us find our way to Savannah.  We arrived to town around 1pm and decided to go straight to Tybee Island.  Our first stop was to get lunch and we went to a place I had found online - CoCo's Sunset Grill.  I had the shrimp cake sandwich and it was so delicious.  After lunch we headed to the Tybee Light Station and Museum to tour it. When we got there we learned it is closed for special tours only on Tuesday.  Whoops.  I am so good at writing everything down in my iteneary, but I didn't this time.  I actually didn't think we would go there today so that's why I didn't include it in my notes.  We got to see it and that was good enough for me.  

Tybee Light Station Info:  Ordered by General James Oglethorpe, Governor of the 13th colony, in 1732, the Tybee Island Light Station has been guiding mariners safe entrance into the Savannah River for over 270 years. The Light Station is one of America's most intact having all of its historic support buildings on its five-acre site. Rebuilt several times the current lightstation displays its 1916 day mark with 178 stairs and a First Order Fresnel lens (nine feet tall).




Right across from the Light Station is the beach.  Matt made so much fun of me for being in winter clothing on a beach in March.  I didn't expect it to be that warm because we all know the forecast usually isn't right and it changes daily.  I was fine until we got in the hot car and then I had to blast the air conditioner.



After the beach it was time to drive back to Savannah and check in to our hotel. The hotel was near the river and on the very east edge of town. It was in a old building that had been completely remodeled. It was very nice and modern - not something we usually stay in. Here is some info i just found on the hotel: The building was developed around the 1860s and has been home to a livery stable, cotton warehouse, foundry and machine shop, wholesale grocer and Coca-Cola bottling plant prior to becoming a hotel in 1982.

After settling in to our room, we went and walked down River Street to see what places there were to eat that looked good. On our way back to the hotel stopped at Morrell Park to see two sculptures.

1990 Olympic Yachting Cauldron - It was lit with the original Olympic frame from Olympia, Greece at the Savannah Opening Ceremony in July 1996. It burned throughout the yachting games that were held in Savannah.


The Waving Girl Statue:  A tribute to Florence Martus. From 1887-1931 she waved to every ship that came and left the Savannah River.












No comments:

Post a Comment