Saturday, February 7, 2015

Allergic to Amoxicillin

Mallory was feeling sick last week  so I took her to Dr. Daniel on Monday.  Turns out it was an infection and he gave her Amoxicillin.  On Saturday, February 7th  she woke up at 5:30 am and said her eye hurt. I noticed it was really swollen and thought that is random and gave her some Benedryl.  Later as she ate breakfast she started saying more parts of her body hurt and I noticed she had hives.  I couldn't figure out what she could have gotten into and then I remembered she had this same reaction back in November when on amoxicillin. The doc in the box said it wasn't due to the meds, but I wasn't buying that anymore.

I took her to Care Now and the doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the medicine and to take benedryl and/or claritin. Said it would worse before it got better.  That was an understatement.  Mallory missed four days of school because of this and needless to say Dr. Daniel and Target both have her listed as highly allergic to any Penicillin type drug.

The poor child's face  was swollen so bad she looked like we had filled her up with air.


It got really bad all over her body and at night the hives would go away and turn white/blue and then another set of hives would show up.  She truly looked like she was beaten up.  We felt so bad for her. Mallory's spirits were always good though. The only positive to this was she got to go to Maggie's school Valentine's party. That made both of them happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment